Council Report – June 2021
Hello all! Thanks for all your comments back to me after sending my last report, both my email and on social media. I always appreciate feedback, whether positive or critical.
This last month has been light on when it comes to planning decisions, however that has not meant that council has not been working hard. We have released our draft policy on reducing harm from gambling, and finalised the 2021-2022 budget.
A few highlights from the budget: there is a $2m Covid support package for businesses and tourism, an extra youth worker to connect with school communities, beginning the renewal of the old Municipal Baths, and over $50m of capital works.
Budget Wins for Whipstick
Here are just a few of the items which are in the gun for the Whipstick Ward:
- Walking/Cycling Trail management plan for the path that goes from Bendigo Stadium to Bendigo Showgrounds
- Heritage Conservation plan for Victoria Hill
- Works on Eaglehawk Town Hall
- Works for Truscott Dog Park
- Strengthening and widening the Howard St bridge at Epsom
- Design of Elmore Community Hub
If you want to see a fuller list of items, the finance team at the City has done a great job of mapping most of the capital works in the budget so you can see where things will be happening.
Thanks again for all those who contact me with both positive ideas for Bendigo, and problems that need fixing.
Cr Dave Fagg
P.S: I will be away in the 2nd week of the holidays for some time with family, so please call 03 5434 6000 for any council matters during that time.
P.P.S: The featured image on this post shows the community deliberative panel which came up with our City’s new vision.
[Email continues after photos]
What have I been up to recently?
- Attendance at the Imagine Greater Bendigo deliberative panel
- Resident meetings regarding planning matters
- Attended the School-Industry Roundtable
- Mass to celebrate 200 years of Catholic education in Australia
- Long Gully community meeting
- Recorded an interview with Bike Bendigo on cycling to work.
- Various meetings with community members and leaders
- Public Space Advisory Committee meeting
- Refugee Week Community Lunch
- Attended the Bendigo Secondary Education Wellbeing Network
- Attended Eaglehawk Community House
- Creeth St Road Safety meeting with Regional Roads Victoria.
What’s on the agenda in the next few months?
- Youth work sector conference.
- Listening post at Bendigo Showgrounds: Sunday 18th July, 10-11.30am
- Victoria Hill Conservation Plan will begin work – how do we conserve this amazing site for the coming years?
- Affordable Housing Action Group – how can council take action on the issue of affordable housing?
- Attending a community leadership workshop in Melbourne, hosted by the Municipal Association of Victoria.
- Visiting the Bendigo Regional Archives Centre to get a better understanding of how we can work to preserve our historical artefacts.
Get involved in the community
- North Bendigo Listening Post: this will be held at Bendigo Showgrounds on Sunday 18th July, from 10am – 11.30am during the Sunday market.
- Get along to some of the Youth Week activities put on by the City.
- The draft policy “Reducing Harm from Gambling” is out for public comment. Have your say.